Just The Fun Facts Please
Here are 10 fun facts about your brain that will get you thinking :)
The brain is an amazingly complex organ responsible for most of our body's functions. Check out these 10 fun facts about how the brain works.
- The average adult human brain weighs three pounds and has a texture like firm jelly.
- Every time your heart beats, your arteries carry 20 to 25 percent of your blood to the brain.
- Every time you recall a memory or have a new thought, you create a connection in the brain.
- There are over 100 billion neurons (nerve cells) in the brain, but they make up only 10 percent of the brain. These neurons branch out to 100 trillion-plus trigger points, forming what experts call a “neuron forest.”
- Size doesn’t matter in the brain. There is no evidence that a larger brain is smarter than a smaller brain.
- There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in the brain. The distance around the world at the equator is 24,900 miles.
- Did you know that it is normal for your mind to wander? A joint study by Harvard University, Dartmouth College and the University of Aberdeen in Scotland found the parts of the brain that control “task-unrelated thought” (such as daydreaming) are almost always active when the brain is at rest.
- According to a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine, adults who participated in mind-challenging activities were 63 percent less likely to develop dementia.
- Research has shown women who are highly physically fit are 90 percent less likely to develop dementia than women who are moderately physically fit.
- The harder you think, the more oxygen and fuel your brain will use from your blood – up to 50 percent.
Sources: American Academy of Neurology National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Alzheimer's Association